FOR THE CHICKEN AND WHITE BEAN FILLING:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- 15.5 oz can Navy beans (or Cannellini beans)
- 8 oz cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 chicken bullion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
FOR THE GREEN CHILE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 7 oz can chopped green chile
- 2 jalapeños, chopped (I used jarred)
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- chopped fresh cilantro or scallions (or both!)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For the Filling: In a medium pan, heat olive oil on low. Add onions, garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add green chiles, beans, water, bullion, and cumin. Mix well and cover. Simmer on low 15 minutes. Remove cover, add chicken and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until it thickens and liquid boils down. Set aside.
- Green Chile Enchilada Sauce: In a large nonstick pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Whisk until the sauce becomes smooth. Cook over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Add green chiles, jalepeños, and salt to tatse. Cook another minute then remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish. Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup of the chicken/white bean filling. Roll the tortillas and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue filling remainder of the tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with cheese. Cover with aluminum and bake 20-30 minutes, until the enchiladas are hot and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro or scallions.
Yield: 8 Servings, Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 7
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 231